Friday, June 17

Blue Ribbon

there is a chaim email going round at the moment reminding people they matter. Its nice, i dont really like these things, but it served as a needed reminder. I forwarded it to a couple of good friends, but I qualified it first. I got it back this morning, from Jo (yo) my dutch flatmate from uni. I love that girl. She also qualified it.

here is what she said:

"like the person who sent this to me, I didn't want to just forward this
without qualifying why I wanted to send it to you guys.
There are a whole number of things that makes each of you individually very
important in my life. You persuade me to drop everything to go driving to
England with you while highly pregnant and everything is as it always used to
be. You call me up when I pick up the phone to dial your number. You feed me
veggie finger sandwiches, just when I need them the most. Or brownies,
smoothies, hash browns or Belgian chocolates. Or gravy. You look after me when
people get scary, leave twenties on my pillow to freak me out or toast to calm
me down and you talk for hours to get me to come out from under the table. You
were my friend when everybody else was angry with me, because you feel friends
don’t judge. You help me out again and again when I’m drowning. You’re
daft enough to live with me after you’ve gotten to know me. You take over
the burden of my household and put up with my husband, my children and me at
my worst. Twice.
You also have some things in common. The first thing that springs to mind is
that you’re all much better friends than I deserve. When I told you I was
getting married you ordered credit cards, booked planes and immediately
offered any help you could give. Some of you made me cry by being there and
some of you by not being able to get there on time but you all made that day
special in your own way. I know that even with seas, oceans and continents
between us, you would drop everything to come to my aid if I said I needed
you, and I would do the same for you. Sometimes we don’t talk for months or
even years but when we get back in touch it’s like we were never apart.
Sometimes all I want to do is get on a plane and get out of here and sod the
rest of the world. And then I think of some or all of you. Just knowing that
you are there and just a phone call away makes life here so much easier to
bear. Even when we haven’t talked for much too long and I am too useless to
call. I hope to speak with each of you before the month is over, because you
do make a difference and it’s time I told you that."

I recognised me in some of those statements, veggie finger sandwiches are my speciality. ;)
I love that girl. A lot!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home